Burpees are basically the most dreaded exercise of them all. Every time you hear someone talking about them, it is usually about how heinous they are or how hated. Love them (weirdo!) or hate them, we should all do them for a simple reason…they kick your butt. In a good way! They are a full body workout that you can do for free, anywhere and they work your chest, arms, deltoids, thighs, hamstrings and abs all in one exercise. And the best part is that they are a high intensity move which has been shown to burn up to 50% more fat than traditional strength training exercises. Here is a simple breakdown of how to correctly perform a burpee so you can whip your body into shape!
[su_note note_color=”#fff” text_color=”#484e59″ radius=”5″]
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart and your hands tucked behind your head with elbows out.
- Start with a quick jump then push your hips back, bend your knees and drop down, placing your hands on the floor in front of you.
- Kick your legs backward so that you’re now in a push up position.
- Quickly reverse the movement to return to the starting position by bringing your feet back into your hands.
- Push through your feet and jump up to the start position. That’s one rep.[/su_note]
Modification: Do not jump up into starting position, and rather than hopping back with both feet, step back one foot at a time.
[su_box title=”Advanced Burpee” style=”noise” box_color=”#fff” title_color=”#2e383f”]
Once in push up position (step 3), lower your body until your chest nearly touches the floor. As you lower, tuck your elbows close to your body so your upper arms form a 45-degree angle when lowered. Pause, and then push back up. Continue with remaining steps.[/su_box]